Thursday 11 July 2013

ARCHITECTURE DESIGN STUDIO 1

Project 1: Self-Expression through Object 
REPRESENTING ME

On the first day of our class, we were to produce a self-portrait of ourselves and present it in our respective tutorial groups. I was really nervous to present my portrait because I had never drew a human figure in detail(only stickman) and present it in front of a group of people who I am not familiar. But I think it was a good thing to do and we should have this kind of practice for every week tutorial where we get to express our ideas and exchange feedbacks among group mates.

Then we proceed with tutorials for our first project. It was a journey of self-introspection and I was so clueless of what best represent me. So, at last I came up with a balloon. It wasn’t something visually amazing, but it does represent me in a way as I don’t like to be under the limelight.


The making of my balloon


Greyish newspaper: the emotional and random part of me




It represents a ball that is hit hard which gives the meaning of me being able to go further the harder an obstacle hits me. The layers of paper collages form cool to warm colors is a symbolism of my personalities where I look distant at first sight but I can be really friendly when you get to know me well. While for the red balloon trying to expand out from the opening but yet is wrapped by the harden collage layers, it actually represents the enthusiasms confined in me. The silver layer acts as a mirror reflecting how I approach people the same as they approach me. It can also be interpret as me liking to stare into the mirror and reflect my doings. Lastly, the tearing method represents the unorganized me! :P





Project 2: Self-Expression through Architectural Space
ME IN SPACE

First of all, we were required to choose a place in the campus and sketch it out and explain why it represents us the best. So, I had chosen the grand hall because it is a huge space where you feel tiny and empty while being in there. Besides, my emotions change according to my surrounding just as the atmosphere in the grand hall is influenced by the event held in it. I feel like it suits my personality well because I am both an introvert and an extrovert. (or call it an ambivert lol)

Then we were grouped according to the places of our choice and express our own interpretation of self as a group through space. Anthropometry was also taught through this project where we need to understand how the human body relates to space and the relationship between scale and proportion and space.

Our final design was to be a full 1:1 scaled installation made out of card boards and glue.  Thinking back of it now, I realized it wasn’t supposed to be a difficult task as it seems to be. Yet we failed in translating our ideas from drawings into a real life model. Through this, I learn that communication is really important where our group doesn’t really sit down together and discussed what we really want for our design.  Besides, time management and study model play an important role too. We could have done better and not wasting our time in figuring out how to make the model ONLY WHEN we were doing the real model. A good sleep before the presentation is essential too so that we wouldn’t end up like how we did not being able to explain our ideas clearly to the lecturers on the submission day. It was sad getting a really bad grade after spending so much effort on it. But I did learn a lot of good lessons from it so it’s fair enough. :)

Process of model making:



mock up models

model making in process

final model placed at the university square

The sky on the presentation day!



Project 3: Space for the Self
MY CITY DREAMSPACE

This is a project where we need to create a hideout space in a city inspired by our perception of a hideout that best fits our individualities. First we were introduced to the 5 senses through on site sketching. Next, we were given four choices of movie and my group has chosen”Ghost in the Shell”. I personally think GITS has quite an interesting storyline and I really love the name of the movie where I interpret it as “Soul in A Cyborg Body”. This is the project that finally made me grasp the idea of what space, form and order really is.

Everything was quite smooth at the beginning, which I think our group did an amazing job on the site model(thanks!) and I was on the track of the design process where lots of ideas and inspiration struck my mind. I feel so excited for it till the week I got back to my hometown to attend two of my beloved family members' funerals. I missed so many tutorials and got so way behind for my design. This is when I start realizing that designing without referring to the site context is dangerous. I failed so many times where models I had spent days doing are wasted but I think it worth the effort that I finally came up with my current model. It was such a looooong process!

From this project, I had definitely learnt that design process should always start with the site context, what the users need and the reason for you creating so and so. Then, the spatial relationship and circulation of your design. Scale and proportion and being able to visualize your design are important too.  Besides, spatial qualities such as the experiential effects of materials and the senses should be apply in a space to make it more interactive and lively. This is the project where I learn on designing from the inside and consider the feelings of the users for that particular space.


Screenshot from the movie



Our site model (without the perspex beneath it)


Process to my final design:


Trying to work on the spatial organization

First study model for my final design






 

Checking the interior lighting effect 

Hi! :D



Final presentation (Presentation board, A3 design process sketches, mock up and final model)

Explanation on my design:
The story is set in the future world where human relies too much on technologies and cyborg body parts and has neglected interactions within each other. This is when humans start to lost their self identity.

First of all, my design works as a link bridge between two buildings and it serves as a public area too. Why? The reason for my character to create a public space and attracts lots of people to her hideout it's because she is a scientist in researching how to create soul in cyborgs. The research is actually banned by the government and she was kicked out by Sector 6 because of it, that's why she needs a hideout.

As you can see, the design has a plain, solid exterior yet in the inner side curved wall and stairs are present. This explains the typical cyborg outlook of my character who still reserves her humanly side (She's half human, half cyborg). Besides, the curved stairs and wall that goes inwards give an illusion that the space is fully used and there's nothing hidden behind the wall. 
The wave form of the design indicates the overwhelming inner emotions of my lonely character, Ginx that are bursting to the outer world, crashing into the distant and cold public trying to break the barriers between them. Drowning them in their own thoughts so they could rediscover their lost self.

Next, there's strip of one way mirror where Ginx used it to observe the outer world and human behaviors to further her research in cyborgs. The partially closed rest area for my character is placed the highest at the corner of my hideout space to indicate the insecurity of my character and the research lab placed beneath it shows that Ginx is a secretive person. The door towards the research lab looks exactly like the wall so that no one will discover her researches even when they found out her hideout.

The metal pathway looking like the backbone of my design is for Ginx to walk on while peeking outwards to the public. I had chosen metal as my choice of material because the echoes of the metal in the long and empty hideout space shows the hollowness residing in Ginx. While for the roof, I made some openings in order to allow light to penetrate into the space. The effect of the light shining down in the solid hideout gives out a feeling of a soul in a metallic body. 

Lastly, my escape path is actually a reel hose so that no one from the apartment would have suspected the the existence of my hideout. 

The reason for my character to be named as Ginx because it's the inverted of my middle name Xing. Ginx is like my alter ego where parts of my personality are portrayed through her.


Model on site model

Thanks for reading!

1 comment: