Friday 1 February 2013

Effective Public Communication


Assignment 1: Photo Blog

Our first assignment for Effective Public Communication (EPC) was to create a photo blog based on our trip to a location of our choice focusing on the people, food, cultural conservation of buildings, and human activities found there. Then we were required to present it in class to briefly explain our overall experiences and the aspects we were asked to cover. So, we had chosen Klang as our destination and it was fun leading my group members around in this old town to capture the best shots for our blog. Through this, I got the chance to experience and observe the culture and unique of Klang. Even though we often got lost because I was not really familiar with Klang, but all these obstacles we faced actually did bring all of us closer as a group and I am really glad to have them in my team.

A condensed milk trademark painted on the floor which is rare nowadays.


Link to our blog:
http://ouradventuresinklang.blogspot.com/


Assignment 2: Oral Presentation 

For the second assignment, we need to choose one traditional house and explain the historical background, structure and layout, ornamentation and material used in it. Again, we need to present it in class or in a video since this is a public communication subject. At first, we were quite unsure on which traditional house we wanted to study on, but after that we had decided that the Rumah Penghulu Abu Seman is a good option since it is near and received good reviews from the tourists. Besides, they even have a resource centre right next to it which makes our research job easier. We experimented on different ways to present our video and I personally found that to make a good presentation, there are a few important things I need to take note. First, eye contact. Second, body gestures. Third, my tone. Fourth, make it easy for the audience to understand and relate to themselves. Fifth, know what you are presenting well and explain it in an interesting way. Last but not least, be confident and enjoy! This assignment really gave me an insight on how a traditional house is generally built and allowed me to learn more on how to coordinate my group.





Rumah Penghulu Abu Seman 


Screenshot of me in the video



Link to our presentation video:

Link to my presentation slides:

Assignment 3: Comic strip assignment


The last assignment was to draw a comic strip and cover one of the topics we learnt in EPC and then present it. This is really something different since I had never drawn a comic together in a group before and I think the process itself was fun. It was really surprising that it took a lot of our time on deciding the theme we want, what we should draw and how to present the comic in an interesting way. But luckily our hard work paid off when the lecturer complimented that our comic is good since it is different than the others. The topic for our comic strip is verbal and non-verbal messages. We used water color for the background, color pencils to emphasize on the characters and some rendering. This assignment made me more observant to what is happening around me and allowed me to understand the topic I learnt in class even more. Besides, I have learnt how to plan a funny story line and communicate with others in a more humorous way. Last but not least, I want to thanks to Cody for being one of the most dedicated member in the group and I do appreciate all the effort everyone puts in this.







No comments:

Post a Comment