Friday 1 February 2013

English 2

Assignment 1 Part 1: 
The Adventure of Merlin” and “Pushing Daisies” 
For this project, we were required to compare any two English language drama series or programme series. First, we need to decide on the genre we would like to attempt for this assignment and then we need to start looking through materials published on this genre. The genre I had chosen was fantasy genre. After that, we need to view the chosen television series to work on our comparison and contrast essay. The essay required should have 5 paragraphs and 600-1000 words.




Reflection:
To me, this was quite an interesting assignment to do since I get to watch my favourite television series while learning how to write a compare and contrast essay about it. Through this essay, I am able to understand the concept of a television genre and I have actually gained the ability to understand and interpret television series genre in an analytic way. Besides, I have learnt how to synthesize the information I got from the two television series and explain them clearly and logically.



Assignment 1 Part 2: 
“Peeking Through the Window” and “Protection”
This assignment is a group work assignment where we need to work as a group to visit an art gallery and write a compare and contrast essay on two previously unseen paintings. The art gallery my group was assigned to is the Artemis Art Gallery located in Publika, Jalan Dutamas, Kuala Lumpur.


"Protection"


"Peeking Through the Window"

Reflection:
Through this assignment, I realized how important is it to choose your group member wisely to ensure the work can get done smoothly. Next, I have learnt how to analyse the elements and principles applied in an artwork and explain it in words. I also began to appreciate artworks as the making process of each artwork is way more complex and hard than I used to think it is. I found out that the "reading" process which are the description, analysis, interpretation and judgment is very useful as it guided me throughout the assignment and gave me a general idea on which point I should cover in the essay.


Assignment 2: English Research Paper
Indian Silk House

For this last assignment, we were required to write a 2500- 3000 words research paper based on our study on a traditional trade in Klang. The traditional trade our group had chosen was Indian Silk House and we need to compare at least two examples of the similar business for our research. Besides, this research assignment must be conducted through a combination of both primary sources such as interviews and questionnaires on the site visit.We were also required to use a minimum of 7 secondary sources such as books, magazines or journals. The maximum internet sources we can use for our reference is 3 only.

To identify the key issues in the question and explain them clearly and logically.  Demonstrate the ability to prepare questionnaires and interviews to obtain information about the topic.  To demonstrate the ability to analyse and synthesize information and compile them in the report.  To communicate the relevant ideas and analysis in clear, logical and appropriate academic English.  To select and present infomation clearly and appropriately to one’s target audience.



Harekrishna

Mangala Theebam

Sri Rasi Textiles

Reflection:
This is the first time I did a research paper and I knew that my research paper does not have a clear main guideline on what we actually want to research about therefore we ended up being lost and confused while doing our research paper. But through this project, I gained the ability to prepare interviews to obtain information for my topic and to analyse and synthesize information and compile them in the report. Lastly I am able to select and present my infomation clearly and appropriately to my target audience through our presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment